China has dismissed heightened claims from the US that COVID-19 may have originated in a Wuhan lab— slamming it as baseless “conspiracy theories” and dubbing outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “Mr. Lies.”
The US report — which claimed that before the pandemic hit, several researchers fell sick in the Wuhan lab that worked on “secret projects with China’s military” — was the “last madness” of Pompeo, Hua reportedly said at a regular news briefing Monday.
“The so-called fact sheet is another lie sheet produced by the US side,” Hua added, according to Bloomberg.
“This fully demonstrates that some US politicians are keen on violating science, hyping up conspiracy theories, spreading political viruses for their personal gains, while paying no attention to public security and people’s lives.
“This is also the last madness of Pompeo — Mr. Lies.”
The report claimed that the “US government has reason to believe that several researchers inside the WIV became sick in autumn 2019, before the first identified case of the outbreak, with symptoms consistent with both COVID-19 and common seasonal illnesses.”
It also claimed the controversial lab “has collaborated on publications and secret projects with China’s military,” carrying out research “on behalf of the Chinese military since at least 2017.”
The State Department report was clear that the US “does not know exactly where, when, or how the COVID-19 virus … was transmitted initially to humans.”
However, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has “systematically prevented a transparent and thorough investigation … choosing instead to devote enormous resources to deceit and disinformation,” the report said.
“The CCP’s deadly obsession with secrecy and control comes at the expense of public health in China and around the world,” it stated, as the pandemic has killed more than 2 million and infected close to 100 million worldwide.
A team of WHO experts is in quarantine in China after arriving last week in Wuhan, the original epicenter of the pandemic.