Teenage Flash star Logan Williams’ cause of death has been confirmed by his mother as a fentanyl overdose.

The 16-year-old actor, who played Barry Allen in the first two seasons of The Flash, had been battling an opioid addiction from the age of 13, and had promised his mum days before his death that he wanted to get clean.

Speaking for the first time about her child star son’s tragic death, Marlyse Williams vowed it would not be in vain as she seeks to help other parents and children living with addiction.

The sales rep told the New York Post how she’d helped Logan realise his dream when he first told her he wanted to be an actor at the age of nine.

Logan Williams
Logan Williams

She secured him an agent and was shocked when he landed his first gig for a part in a TV movie, but continued to support him as he juggled his school studies with his various jobs.

Logan landed parts in the sci-fi series The Whispers, Supernatural and the Hallmark series When Calls The Heart, but his biggest role came with The Flash.

But secretly, Logan wasn’t coping with life in the limelight, nor the gruelling schedule of auditions, and Marlyse discovered he was using marijuana when he was 13.

He took a break from acting but was secretly escalating his drug use to other substances – and soon started using the powerful pain medication fentanyl, which is used to treat cancer patients with severe pain.

Logan “was in complete denial because he was so ashamed”, his mum recalled, and for three years she did everything she could to get him unhooked from the addictive opioid – including remortgaging the family home to send him to rehab in the US.

His drying out stint resulted in a relapse, so Marlyse sent him to another facility in Canada in 2019.

Logan Williams
Logan Williams

In the last months of his life, Logan had been living in a group home.

“I did everything humanly possible — everything a mother could do,” his mum told the newspaper.

“I did everything but handcuff him to me to try to keep him safe.”

She went on: “Logan was always hoping to get back into acting, music or whatever future he wanted. We didn’t want people to know because of the judgment, because of the embarrassment, because of the criticism. We wanted it to go away.”

Logan Williams
Logan Williams

Tragically, four days before his fatal overdose, Logan told his mum over dinner he was ready to turn over a new leaf.

“He said to me, ‘Mom, I’m gonna get clean. I’m going to get better. And I want my new life to start.’ I just know the last thing we said to each other was, ‘I love you,'” she recalled.

Less than a week later, Marlyse was called to the funeral home to identify her 16-year-old son.

“Seeing him like that was as gut-wrenching as hearing that he died,” she said.

“It was horrific. Horrific. He was cold. But I have to say I feel like he was restless and he needed me to tell him it’s OK to let go and that the pain is over and he doesn’t have to hurt anymore.”

Fentanyl is one of the most common opioids found in the US’s growing addiction epidemic.

It was blamed for Prince’s death in April 2016, Tom Petty’s fatal overdose in October 2017, and is thought to have been responsible for Demi Lovato’s overdose in July 2018, which she luckily survived.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here